Providing the small office, home office, and solopreneur business owner
with QuickBooks tips, small business resources, and inspiration
you can use to create Your Business and Your Life, Your Way!

Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Going to the Coaching Super Summit!

I am so excited, I have just signed up for the Coaching Super Summit being held in Baltimore in October! I really searched my soul before signing up. There were considerations about how much it would cost and could I afford that, whether I would feel uncomfortable there, how my family would get along with out me for a few days, and whether or not I was really committed to building my business.

So, how did I make my decision? I coached myself, just like I would coach my clients. I listened to the "committee in my head" and one by one addressed each issue that was holding me back.

How much would it cost and could I afford it? I had to make a decision, the price was going up soon, the discount for early registration was about to end. I asked myself, "What is the business American Express card for anyway, isn't it for business building opportunities?" This is a business building opportunity, right? Plus, if all goes well, I will increase my business enough to cover the cost. OK, this issue is resolved. Next...

Will I feel uncomfortable there? What kind of question is this? Already, I am putting a negative spin on the experience. Is it about acceptance? Worthiness? Confidence? Yes, that's what it is, confidence. I continually struggle with a lack of confidence. (People who know me are always surprised when I say this, but it is true.) Long ago I acknowledged confidence as one of my mental blocks and decided to not to let it keep me stuck. But here it is showing up again. Acknowledge it, release it. Next...

How would my family feel? Well, I thought, "I won't know until I ask." So, I sat down and explained to my husband how important I felt going to the summit would be for the growth of my business, discussed the traveling dates, and gained his support. I even boosted my own self support in the process. Another stumbling block removed! Next....

The last mental block in my way was the question of, "Am I really committed to building my business?" At first this question may seem like a no-brainer, of course I want to build my business. Right? Well, not so fast. I, like most people understand that I don't want to fail, but how would success change my life? Am I willing to embrace the changes that success may bring? I am convinced that we (me included) often stay in our comfort zones. As I pondered the question at hand, I realized that I have enjoyed the slower pace of building my coaching practice, but it is time to embrace new challenges and new frontiers!

So why am I sharing this story with you?

First to let you know that we all struggle sometimes in making decisions which will bring change to our lives. Confusion and fear keep us stuck. In my process I had to tune-in to my thoughts and get clear on all the mental blocks, then I had to address them one by one.

Second, I want to share the self-coaching approach with you. Next time you are struggling with a decision, take a few quite moments and really tune-in to your thoughts. Write down all the questions and/or thoughts that are swirling in your head regarding the issue. Examine them one by one and try to come up with a counter point to your own thought. If you are able to do this then you will have the clarity to make a good decision. If you can't do this on your own then talk with someone you trust such as your partner, parent, or friend. Otherwise consider working with a coach. We are trained to help you tune-in and dissect your thoughts and we encourage you to move past fear and follow your dreams!

Good luck with your decisions and following your dreams! I will soon be off to the Summit. I will let you know how it goes!

2 comments:

Lia said...

Rhonda:

Congratulations on your decision. I know you won't be disappointed. I was there last year and I am going again this year. I look forward to meeting you there.

Lia

Rhonda Smith said...

Thank you! I look forward to meeting you too! I am excited about the Summit and glad to hear that it was so good that you are going back!