Providing the small office, home office, and solopreneur business owner
with QuickBooks tips, small business resources, and inspiration
you can use to create Your Business and Your Life, Your Way!

Monday, October 05, 2009

Insights of a Tourist

Recently I spent 10 fabulous days in London with my husband, visiting our daughter who lives there.

The trip came up quite suddenly. While on the phone with our daughter one morning, she was telling me about her upcoming trip to Greece and how she did not have anyone to dog sit. I immediately hung up the phone with her and ask my husband if he would like to have a flat for a week in London in exchange for dog sitting. He said book the tickets! So, a week later off we went.

We arrived in London on Friday, that evening our daughter had arranged dinner at Gaucho which offered an incredible view of the Tower Bridge
and a scrumptious meal.

On Sunday, my daughter and her guy were off to Greece.

Hubby and I spent the next several days site seeing through-out London. We took a bus tour of the city, and a boat tour. We visited the Tower of London, Buckingham Palace, Kensington Palace, Kensington Gardens, Trafalgar Square, National Gallery, Churchill's War Rooms. We strolled through the Portobello Market, the Flower Market, Hyde Park and Green Park. We even took a day trip out to Windsor Castle with the kids when they returned from Greece!

Somewhere in all this site-seeing, and walking, and trips on the tube it occurred to me that I was so enjoying just simply being a tourist. As a tourist, I was meant to be there only for a time, enjoying the sites, the history, and all that I could take in during my short visit.

Then the big epiphany came...aren't we all tourists here visiting this place we call Earth? How different would our lives be if each day we embraced the sites and splendor of this place? Would we live our life with more passion if we admitted that we are only here for a brief time? Would we try to make each day count? Would we determine our purpose, then live each day with that intention?

In this epiphanous state of mind my purpose became crystal clear; to make a positive contribution to each person I meet. I can do this not only in my professional capacity, but also by being loving, caring, and compassionate to my family members, friends, business associates, and others who cross my path.

Even though in our day to day lives we have bills to pay, deadlines to meet, health concerns, family situations, and many other facts of living to distract us, I encourage you to act like a tourist...look up, (tourists are always looking up!) see the sites, feel the air, embrace the splendor of this magnificent place! In doing so, you very well may ignite your passion, discover your purpose, and at the very least you will feel more alive!

As the saying goes, "The past is history, the future a mystery, and today's a gift, that's why it's called the PRESENT!"

No comments: